You've got questions, we've got answers!
Q: Does your studio shoot on film or digital?
A: Digital. While Jennifer was formally trained in film/darkroom processing and holds a Masters Degree in Fine Art Photography from Savannah College of Art & Design in Savannah, GA. In 2006 I converted all of my cameras and studio equipment over to digital. Technology had finally become comparable to medium and large format cameras, thus enabling my studio to produce large prints/products for my clients without compromising the quality or integrity of the image.
Q: Do you edit your client's images?
A: Yes. I tend to 'overshoot' to ensure my clients receive a variety of images to choose from. Approximately 40% of our sessions are posed, while the other 60% is candid. During your session, I will engage and 'create moments of opportunity' that allow your personalities to shine. Once the session is complete, I go through and pull out eyes closed, hair in the face, bad facial expressions, etc. The best images are then enhanced, and touched up on a case by case basis. Unlike some studios who charge for 'touch-up fees' I am happy to touch up bags under the eyes, crow's feet, scow lines, blemishes, scraped knees, etc. I want my clients to absolutely love their pictures! *Note: Extensive editing such as switching heads in group shots, tattoo removal, changing the background, etc. requires additional time during post-production and may incur an additional fee. Any additional service fees are discussed in detail with our clients prior to any work being preformed. You NEVER need to be concerned about any 'hidden fees' with my studio.
Q: How long does it take after the session/event for your clients to view their pictures'?
A: This depends on several factors. Family Portrait Sessions are available within a week of the session date. Weddings are typically available within a month of the wedding date. I always communicate with my clients about when you can expect to see the edited collection of images from our studio before, during, and after your session. I know you're anxious to see your pictures; and because of this, I always pull a few stand-out images from your session and 'tease' you with them via text message or social media the day after your session.
Q: How do your clients access/view their pictures once they are available?
*Note: I gladly offer physical proofs/books as well! We actually recommend it because when we print your proofs and you hold them in your hands - you will know exactly what kind of quality to expect from my studio.
Q: What happens next? How do I get my pictures off of the webpage?
A: Call or email us! | 850-755-2611 or | The proofing webpage images have the studio watermark on each file and the 'download' option is not available during the proofing process. Destin Photo offers a large assortment of prints and products, please give me a call so I can accommodate your needs.
Q: Do you sell the high-resolution files?
A: Yes. I offer a hyperlink through SmugMug.com where I load the edited UNWATERMARKED High-Resolution files, so you can download the high-resolution files onto your computer or external hard drive. We always recommend downloading your high resolution files ASAP and backing them up on a thumb drive or external disk!
Personalized Crystal Thumb Drives with Oak Keepsake Boxes are available too! (Sold separately $74.99 +Tax)
An example of my editing style: Before & After